PAPs (Positive Airway Pressure)
- PAP is utilized for the treatment of obstructive sleep apnea. If left untreated sleep apnea increased the risk of high blood pressure, heart problems, and stroke.
- PAP equipment delivers a flow of air at a prescribed amount of pressure delivered through a mask. This pressure prevents the structures in your throat from blocking air movement.
- There are several types of PAP devices. Your doctor might have prescribe a PAP device with one constant pressure (CPAP), two pressures; one for inhalation and one for exhalation (BiPAP or VPAP), an auto adjusting device (Auto PAP), or a device that will deliver a backup breath rate.
- Your doctor might have also prescribed a humidifier or supplemental oxygen to be used with your PAP device.
- Use the system exactly as your physician has prescribed. The pressure has been prescribed specifically to treat your disorder. The prescribed settings cannot be changed without consulting your doctor.
your PAP device into a properly grounded & polarized wall outlet.
- Do not use an extension cord.
- Do not plug into an outlet controlled by a switch/dimmer.
- Attach the device and humidifier if ordered by your physician.
- Attach your tubing and mask to the device.
- Fill the water chamber with distilled water to the maximum fill line. DO NOT over fill your water chamber.
- Make any adjustments to the patient settings (i.e. ramp, humidifier level, pressure relief, etc.).
- Place mask on your face and attach with headgear. Avoid over tightening.
- Turn device ON.
- Turn device OFF when not in use.
- Follow cleaning guide in the manufactures literature.
- Replace supplies as needed.
- Refer to the guide and operating instructions provided.
- Contact our office if you are having difficulty using your device.
MAINTENANCE and SAFETY
- If using supplemental oxygen remember to keep away from any open flame. Important: Turn PAP device ON first before the oxygen source is turned ON and turn the oxygen source OFF before turning OFF the PAP device.
- DO NOT ATTEMPT to open the device. This will void the devices warranty.
- If the equipment is not functioning contact our office.
- Remember cleaning and replacing your supplies is important to receive the correct therapy and avoid infection.
- If your insurance requires compliance information you will need to have your data card downloaded.
- You will also need to see your doctor for a follow up visit to insure the therapy is treating your sleep apnea symptoms.
IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS, PLEASE CONTACT YOUR LOCAL OFFICE OR DELIVERY TECHNICIAN