PAPs (Positive Airway Pressure)
- PAP is utilized for the treatment of obstructive sleep apnea. If left untreated sleep apnea increased the risk of high blood pressure, heart problems, and stroke.
- PAP equipment delivers a flow of air at a prescribed amount of pressure delivered through a mask. This pressure prevents the structures in your throat from blocking air movement.
- There are several types of PAP devices. Your doctor might have prescribe a PAP device with one constant pressure (CPAP), two pressures; one for inhalation and one for exhalation (BiPAP or VPAP), an auto adjusting device (Auto PAP), or a device that will deliver a backup breath rate.
- Your doctor might have also prescribed a humidifier or supplemental oxygen to be used with your PAP device.
- Use the system exactly as your physician has prescribed. The pressure has been prescribed specifically to treat your disorder. The prescribed settings cannot be changed without consulting your doctor.
- Plug your PAP device into a properly grounded & polarized wall outlet.
- Do not use an extension cord.
- Do not plug into an outlet controlled by a switch/dimmer.
- Attach the device and humidifier if ordered by your physician.
- Attach your tubing and mask to the device.
- Fill the water chamber with distilled water to the maximum fill line. DO NOT over fill your water chamber.
- Make any adjustments to the patient settings (i.e. ramp, humidifier level, pressure relief, etc.).
- Place mask on your face and attach with headgear. Avoid over tightening.
- Turn device ON.
- Turn device OFF when not in use.
- Follow cleaning guide in the manufactures literature.
- Replace supplies as needed.
- Refer to the guide and operating instructions provided.
- Contact our office if you are having difficulty using your device.
MAINTENANCE and SAFETY
- If using supplemental oxygen remember to keep away from any open flame. Important: Turn PAP device ON first before the oxygen source is turned ON and turn the oxygen source OFF before turning OFF the PAP device.
- DO NOT ATTEMPT to open the device. This will void the devices warranty.
- If the equipment is not functioning contact our office.
- Remember cleaning and replacing your supplies is important to receive the correct therapy and avoid infection.
- If your insurance requires compliance information you will need to have your data card downloaded.
- You will also need to see your doctor for a follow up visit to insure the therapy is treating your sleep apnea symptoms.
IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS, PLEASE CONTACT YOUR LOCAL OFFICE OR DELIVERY TECHNICIAN