“New year, new me” is an age-old mantra. Although we think you’re already great, we fully support self-improvement! Heath & wellness is a consistent theme topping the list for millions of Americans, and no one focuses on health more than the adaptive needs community.
What I want to share with you is a powerful tool that benefits your physical and mental health. The fantastic part about it, you can do it from your wheelchair or power chair. Adaptive Yoga! I’ll explain to you why it’s great, where to find it, & what to do to get started. (Check with your health provider before practicing any extra physical activities)
- Increased strength, balance and flexibility
- Greater lung capacity
- Reduced levels of stress, tension, and anxiety
- Improved mental clarity Better sleep
- Overall quality of life improved
Where can you find it?
Youtube has hundreds of instructional Yoga videos tailored to fit in with your lifestyle. The best part is, you won’t have to leave the comfort & safety of your home. Simply search youtube for “adaptive yoga,” & you will see an array of videos that are beneficial for all participants.
Here is a quick list of our favorites.
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amiNhmeGe3U – Nina is very thorough and helpful in understanding the correct ways to position your body for optimal safety & results.
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dq1XBAkIZEM – This one is perfect for involving children in the fantastic benefits of yoga.
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYj0Y-QmJc8 – What I love about this one is its under 10 minutes and taught by a 30 year veteran of life in a wheelchair. She understands you and is eager to display the benefits of movement.
- Narrow down a list of videos you want to try
- Show them to your primary care physician for approval on those specific movements.
- Set a schedule & a realistic measurement for success
- Go for it!