CPMs (Continuous Passive Motion)
- Continuous Passive Motion is a post-operative treatment designed to aid recovery after joint surgery.
- Passive Motion means the joint is moved without the patient’s muscles being used. This accelerates wound healing by increasing fluid circulation, preventing scar tissue and loss of range of motion.
- Your physician/physical therapist will define how the CPM unit will be used (speed, duration of usage, amount of motion, and rate of increase in motion).
- Use the equipment for its intended use only.
- Keep hair, loose clothing, fingers and all parts of the body away from moving components of the device.
- Do not expose device to water or extreme temperature.
- Use care when carrying, transporting or storing to prevent damage from dropping or from falling.
- Plug your CPM unit into a
properly grounded & polarized wall outlet.
- Do not use an extension cord.
- Do not plug into an outlet controlled by a switch/dimmer.
- If you are unsure if your outlet is properly grounded/polarized, contact an electrician.
- Do not remove the ground connector, or file down the plug.
- Use only on a stable surface.
- Contact Alpine Home Medical immediately if device is mal-functioning.
- Attach the soft goods (padding) to your CPM.
- Make adjustments to your CPM in order to align the knee pivot axis of the unit to pivot axis of your knee.
- Set the control unit to match your physician prescribed degree of extension, flexion, and speed.
- Increase your range of motion as your physician prescribes.
- Turn the unit ON/OFF.
- Let the machine do the work. No flexing, tensing, or helping it move.
- The CPM should never increase your pain level.
- Applying ice to the joint after therapy will help control swelling and pain.
- If the soft goods become soiled during use, spot clean by hand with mild detergent and warm water.
- Wipe device off with soft cloth damped with warm water. Take care not to get water into motor, electrical, or moving parts.
IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS, PLEASE CONTACT YOUR LOCAL OFFICE OR DELIVERY TECHNICIAN